Saturday, January 3, 2009

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year... a bit late


Well, this a bit late, but I hope you all had a wonderful Christmas with your family and friends, and had time to reflect on the true meaning of CHRISTmas!
My husband and I took a friend of ours who's an international student here in southern Indiana up to Wisconsin to visit my family for Christmas. There is a crazy amount of snow in Wisconsin this year - close to 30" when we got there! Our international student from Korea had never seen so much snow, so we had lots of fun with snowball fights and giddily playing around in snow. It reminded me of winters when I was young - we would dig snow tunnels through our backyard (see the photo below). When I was little, our small city in Wisconsin would flood all the football fields at the elementary schools to make them into ice skating rinks. We would ice skate for recess! These kind of moments that transport me back to being a kid are incredible bits of momentum for writing and illustrating picture books. May your new year be filled with childhood memory momentum too.

1 comment:

Ginger*:) said...

Hi Kristi,

I did post a comment on your personal blog, but wanted to add here that this looks a lot like NH right now. We have had snow on the ground or falling from the sky since Thanksgiving. More on the way, but when it is falling and we are warm inside, (no ice) we are the happiest. It looks like you all had great fun.

When I was teaching in northern NJ I used to spend my lunch hour ice skating. Boy that is great for the legs!

All the best to you for a wonderful and successful new year!