Friday, December 17, 2010

For the children and the child in all of us...



For years we used to make these flour/salt dough angels, snowmen, cookie shapes,
 and ornaments. Here is the recipe and some hints for creating your own angels.  To see any of these charts larger, just click on the image.
After you knead the dough cover the dough with a wet paper towel to preserve the mositure.  If you don't do this the dough will become too dry.  If your dough is too wet you can put a little flour on your hands before you begin to roll out the body parts.  Create 11 balls of dough in sizes similar to those above.
Once you have them all ready you can begin with the wings and place the head between the two wings.
 Next you will begin to assemble the angel.


Once the angels and ornaments have baked to a nice hard finish you can paint them with food color, watercolors, acrylics, or just leave them plain.    When you pack them away after the Holiday season, you can store them in air tight containers for the next year.  Our collection grew over the years.

Here is a hint.... the smaller the object the less time it takes to bake. So check your creations after the first 20 minutes or so.  These are about 3 inches high and maybe an inch and one half wide.



3 comments:

trowbridge chronicles said...

What a wonderful, creative idea for Christmas, Ginger. I wish I had time to create crafts like that. It would be fun.

Ginger*:) said...

Actually, Bron we used to do many more and in greater detail, but as you say, the time it takes to complete all the other day to day tasks eats up so much of the sweet creative time we used to have. This is wonderful to do with children because they can easily wash up and they can create something to keep for a long time. In fact the memories last forever even if the objects don't.

Kathleen Rietz said...

That really is wonderful. They are adorable. It would be so fun to make these...I can picture making little animals, people, etc. The time doing this with a kid would be memorable and wholesome. I have a corn husk doll that I made with my grandma when I was a kid. I recently rediscovered it in a box and attached a hook in it so I could use it as an ornament on my tree. Fond memories are always coming up for me when I look at it.