Monday, July 28, 2008

Learning to Be Still


I firmly believe that the way we choose to handle disappointments in life affects many outcomes. I had a very disappointing month, as many of you know now. The children's ABC yoga book that I had been awarded was pulled back from me, followed by an auto accident which left my car totaled. Instead of digging my heels in and trying to control the uncontrollable, I took the last couple of weeks off from my artwork to contemplate life, wait for a settlement from the insurance company, and negotiate a new children's book opportunity (with the help of Sherry Rogers....thnaks Sherry for your advice!) for the Smithsonian Institution which came my way from Soundprints while I was out of town for 5 days.

Today I have good news...

A few moments ago I received a call from the book shepherd handling the children's ABC yoga book in California....the book project is back on and they asked me if I would still accept the opportunity to work with them and illustrate the book! I cannot tell you how happy I am. It turns out the author felt rushed to make a decision in choosing an illustrator and in the end she still decided I was the ideal one for the job. Now I just have to figure out how I am going to juggle all of this work, but I am happy to have this sort of dilemma rather than the former!

4 comments:

Kristi Valiant said...

Yay! I'm so glad, Kate! Congrats.

Ginger*:) said...

Congratulations on the good news!

Anonymous said...

Oh Kate it was my pleasure and what great news you have! Congratulations I know you'll do a wonderful job.

Love that little girl. . .she is just adorable.

trowbridge chronicles said...

I'm really happy for you, Kate, that you got your ABC book back. I hope you were happy with the outcome of your insurance settlement.