Saturday, June 6, 2009

SHAMWARI


Shamwari means friend in Africa.
This morning I received a beautiful photo from a "friend" in South Africa. Brettell Hone is the author of the book I illustrated that is out now. "My African Bedtime Rhymes" and he is also a great humanitarian. One of his recent projects involved working with the children of the Appel Farm school in his region presenting a play.

From the photo I chose a composite of several children to create "Shamwari." I had such fun doing this, because the children are so full of delight and energy. Brettell says they have "radioactive" energy and I can just imagine as a former teacher what it takes to corral that energy into positive action. The children are learning Edward Lear's "THE OWL AND THE PUSSYCAT" for their first presentation. Then they will move on to more difficult works.

I am so happy to have been involved in Brettell's book and look forward to hearing more about the children from the Appel School.

2 comments:

trowbridge chronicles said...

What a beautiful composite portrait and what a beautiful and memorable experience you had with your African Bedtime Rhymes book. I hope all is well with you.

Amy C. Moreno said...

What a beautiful illustration/portrait! He is gorgeous. The whole project seems to be so inspiring and encouraging to work on as well. The photo of the boys is wonderful. Congratulations on your work, and what it means to so many.