Wednesday, October 27, 2010



Finally! I have been wanting to show you the cover of the latest book I am illustrating for Sylvan Dell, titled "Prairie Storms". Here it is! Ta-daaaaa! It is due to be released in summer of 2011. I am currently illustrating the inside spreads.  I wish I could show them to you, but I have not even shown the publisher yet!  It has been such an interesting project to research. This past weekend I went on a photo excursion at the Spring Valley Nature Sanctuary near my home to photograph prairie plants, trees, the sky, etc. Each of the 12 spreads inside "Prairie Storms" will feature a different month, different animal, and different storm.  I just illustrated a pair of owls flying over a farm with a cloudburst and rainbow forming in the sky, and today I am painting a lizard scurrying from a flash of lightning.

6 comments:

Ginger*:) said...

Kate, this looks wonderful. I know how much research goes into a book like this. The interesting part is that you will get to illustrate such a diverse set of images.
I am praying for you as you work. This will be a magnificent book!

Kathleen Rietz said...

Thank you, Ginger! :)

Kristi Valiant said...

Congrats on the book, Kate! And it's written by Darcy Pattison, speaker and author extraordinaire, how cool is that?

Amy C. Moreno said...

Kate! Congratulations! It is so beautiful! What a huge accomplishment!!

Kit said...

Beautiful, Congrats

Roberta said...

Your work is so lovely Kate! I look forward to seeing the completed book and all of the different animals!