Wednesday, November 17, 2010

A nice review... and a teaching moment

I am always happy to see great reviews for books and when they happen to be for authors for whom I have illustrated, I am even happier.  Here is a great review for Flying Poodles, A Christmas Story.  Karen Morss is the talented Renaiassance Woman who created the story.

Karen's own personal story is just as exciting and entertaining.


I was able to include the northern lights in some of the illustrations.  My mother grew up north of the Arctic Circle in Norway. Her stories about the Aurora Borealis always intrigued me.  I did visit Alaska, but only in the summer, so I have never seen these first hand, but hopefully I will return to either Norway or Alaska and view them for myself.

4 comments:

Roberta said...

I wish you much success with your many book ventures Ginger!

Btw....being from Norway, did your mom serve ludefisk and lefse during the holidays?

Ginger*:) said...

Lutefisk and lefse were available, but it was those from the country that enjoyed those. We do however, make the standard roast pork and rice pudding for Christmas eve. One year I made my sister the traditional wedding cake for her anniversary. The Kransekaaker is extremely rich and takes a lot of time to make.

Here is a link to the process


http://www.gregpatent.com/video/kransekaker.html

Ours was good and covered with tiny Norwegian flags for the celebration.

We also love the Norwegian cookies we make for Christmas.

Ginger*:) said...

PS.... if you don't want to invest the time to bake and wonder if it will turn out right, there are bakeries in Brooklyn NY that will do it for you....

http://www.nordicdeli.com/homemade/homemade.htm

Kathleen Rietz said...

This is wonderful, Ginger. I actually saw the Northern Lights from my porch, just northwest of Chicago, a few years ago, so I recognized it right away in your illustration. Very nice, Ginger. ope the book does well!