Tuesday, November 9, 2010

What came first? The children's book or the calendar?


Long before I had dreams of targeting the children's book market, I dabbled in the calendar market. You see, back in the early 90's calendars were all the rage. So I came up with a silly golf character, entitled it Shank A Muligan's Golf and sent out 43 sample copies to 43 various publishers. I waited for 6 months and eventually got back 44 rejection letters. Yep. 44 when I only sent out 43. One publisher reeeaaaalllly wanted to make sure that I knew they weren't interested so they sent me two rejection letters. That aside, I eventually did sell the Shank calendar and it did really well.

During this same time frame I came up with an additional calendar concept about my favorite sport--- Bicycling. For some reason I didn't push as hard as I did with my Golf concept and it didn't sell. But years later here it is!!! My style has certainly changed but I still enjoy some of the concepts. If you're interested, check out all 12 illustrations at http://www.zazzle.com/retro_biking_calendar-158316781644169417

2 comments:

Ginger*:) said...

Wonderful work. I am so glad you posted this. Not only is it a great idea, but it shows how persistence and patience are a part of every illustrator's life.

Vanessa Brantley Newton said...

This is awesome. Very nice work.