Wednesday, September 12, 2007

My Favorite Children's Illustrator/s

Since starting my career in children's illustration I have acquired quit the collection of children's books. I love children's books. I not only have picture books, but I also have a few first chapter books for kids.

I have several illustrators that I love and I won't list them all in the post. . .I'll just concentrate on one who has replaced all my other favorites and is in position number one! And when you see his work you will know why!

Tony DiTerlizzi - I can't even say enough about this guy. Check out his website he is sooo fun and his work is just wonderful!! He has so much energy in the videos of him on his site. I think it is just that energy that makes his art as fun and lively as it is.

Here are a list of his books:

Ted - This is my very favorite of his books! Looks as if it is done in acrylic or oils

G Is for One Gzonk!: An Alpha-number-bet Book - This has the flavor of a Dr Suess illustrated book. . .but very refined Dr Suess.

Jimmy Zangwow's Out-of-This-World Moon-Pie Adventure - Very fun story. Looks like it might be oils.

The Spiderwick Chronicles - This is a chapter series, but I bought it just because he illustrated it. It has lots of black and white illustrations. The series started out a bit slow for me. . .but of course it's a kids book. But I am currently on the 4th in the series and it's getting pretty book. There is a movie on the series coming out this next Spring! I am excited!!!

Care and Feeding of Sprites - This is a companion book to the Spiderwick Chronicles and has incredible art.

Arthur Spiderwick's Field Guide to the Fantastical World Around You - This is also a companion book the the Spriderwick Chronicles. It is actually a copy of a book that is referenced and used in the series.

The Beloved Dearly - This is a 192 page chapter book of which I haven't read yet.

The Spider and the Fly - This is a black and white picture book, which I just recently learned about through a post by Gina on this blog.

I own all of his books, but the last two and they are on the way to me in the mail as I write this!

1 comment:

Gina said...

Oh, I'm right there with you, Sherry! I've been a huge fan of Tony's for a long time, and I own many of those books, too! I also love his energy and frankly, his artwork is just gorgeous! Truly inspirational, great choice!

-Gina