Monday, October 27, 2008

When do you STOP?



These illustrations are for the children's yoga book I am illustrating. The book is meant to be instructional, so the focus needs to be on the poses in each case. But...since the book is for little children (ages 4 - 8 mainly), I want to make it cute and appealing. I felt this illustration needed a little something more, but I did not want to compromise the main focus, which is the child imitating the frog's stance. So I brought a few elements into the scene that would add interest and color without taking the focus off of the characters.

4 comments:

Ginger*:) said...

You are so wise, Kate. It is hard to know when to stop. I think in this case the additions to your painting are the perfect touch. I love the softness you create in each illustration. That toothy smile of the frog is hilarious!

trowbridge chronicles said...

These are such charming illustrations, Kate. I too like your soft colors. I never in a million years thought I would ever "sell out" and use Photoshop to color with. I think I remember you saying that you use both watercolor and Photoshop.

Anonymous said...

I think the addition is perfect. I think it really adds a focus to the illustration.

Kathleen Rietz said...

Thanks everyone. I admire you all and your talent as artists, so I appreciate your comments.